24.10.10

Untitled Story by Lanni

Jenny's plan.
The sun was just rising in the little town of Dorrit. (This was a strange town. It had all the technology of the rest of the world, but chose to ignore it. Instead it lived more in the early 1900s rather than the late 1990s.) The people of Dorrit were just awakening to the warm rays of the sun on this wonderfully June day. Lila was no different. She rolled gracefully from her bed and ran quickly to the mirror hanging on the wall. Her little pup Oliver ran to be beside her. "It's the first day of the rest of my life, Ollie. How shall I choose to spend it?" Oliver looked carefully at her before choosing to yip in glee.
"I think you're right. Let's go ask Jenny." So Lila quickly dressed in her peach sundress, put on her apron, tidied her short black hair into a ribbon, and ran out the door to Jenny's. Lila's bare feet hit the pavement as she ran to Jenny's house just a few blocks away. She waved good morning to the neighbors as the left to go to work. When Lila arrived Jenny was sitting on the front porch.
"Why so glum?" Lila asked as she gasped for breath. Jenny just shrugged.
"I wish I could see Will." Jenny replied in a monotone voice.
""I wish I could go see Edmund." Lila replied with a sad look on her face. But with those words Jenny perked right up.
"Let's run away!" Jenny replied in delight. Lila frowned.
"What do you mean run away? What will our parents think?" Lila frantically questioned.
"I mean let's run off and go see them in Copperfield." They'll just think we're out playing in the fields again and not worry until tomorrow." Jenny was enthused with her plan. Lila didn't seem to like it.
"But what will we wear? People in Copperfield won't like it if we come dressed like this." Lila frowned even more as she looked down at her peach dress and dirty bare feet.
"Who cares? We won't be there long. I just need to see Nathan. We can find him and bring him back to the valley. Then everything will be alright. No one goes in the valley besides the Dickens'. And the Dickens' have been working for years to get the towns to combine. So they will be happy to see us together with Copperfeldians." Jenny was absolutely beaming by now. She looked eagerly at Lila. When Lila smiled, Jenny knew she had won. Jenny grabbed Lila's hand and the two of them ran off down the road to the cliff that overlooked the valley between the two towns.

Coming Soon... The Dickens house.

1 comment:

  1. tell me what you think so far. more will come in the next few days.

    ReplyDelete